Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Week #3: Discovery Exercises - Reader's Advisory

  1. It's hard to determine the accurateness of recommendations on read-alikes and series as several items I was unfamiliar with were presented; however, from what I could gather, they seem to be pretty in line with the books I would enjoy.
  2. Several selections were saved to my folder.
  3. I'm running Internet Explorer 8 on my computer, and I found that the information on the series tabs in NoveList do not display at all.  I copied the persistent link into Google Chrome and it displayed just fine.  Something to be aware of, I guess - has anyone else had any display problems with NoveList & IE8?
    1. The above is a screen shot of the page in IE8.
    2. The above is a screen shot of the same page in Google Chrome.
  4. In the Readers Advisory Toolbox, I feel like the book discussion guides would be the most useful item to our patrons - especially those in book groups, as long as their was a guide for the book they were discussing. I really feel like the other resources found in the RA's Toolbox and How To Use NoveList support are much more geared to bringing librarian's up to speed so that the librarian can help the patron navigate the database.
  5. I enjoyed the article about the seven book recommendation websites - I use GoodReads mobile on my android phone to keep track of books I've read and books I want to read, and I was familiar with Shelfari, Library Thing (I love any web page that includes 'zeitgeist') and Gnooks, but What Should I Read Next? (not at all impressed with this site - I put in The Last Child by John Hart and one of the read-alikes it came back with Room by Emma Donoghue- I've read them both and they are definitely not read-alikes based on appeal), Whichbook (I like the way they categorize - who could resist "Laugh Your Pants Off?"), and The Staff Recommends were all new to me.





1 comment:

  1. Sometimes sites that don't display right in Internet Explorer 8 and letter can be fixed by turning on "Compatibility View." To give that a try, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/webpages-look-incorrect-in-Internet-Explorer.

    ReplyDelete